Thursday, August 1, 2013

How I made my own sewing labels


  Many times I wish I had a way to label the clothes I made for my kids.  I get confused which pair of shorts go to which kid because the sizes are so close together!!  I also just think its super cool to have my own tags on all of the things I made and gave away to friends! 


So I came up with a way to type my blog name on a spread sheet many many times and added a size just below so that when its folded in half you can see the size under the label.   I'll explain later in this post...
So to begin, I went and got an iron on transfer that I could print on from my printer at home.  There are several options, the store I was at was out of the clear transfers so I had to get the transfers made for images that will be ironed on dark fabric...



You could use any fabric you have, I used muslin because its so cheap and it wont show through once I iron on the transfer. 


 So you place the transfer on the fabric you have chosen and then you lay a sheet of tissue paper that came with the package.  This is important that you don't throw away the tissue paper!  I will show you why in a bit. 
Press your iron firmly down on the transfer and set your heat at Cotton/Linen.  Lift and peek at the ends to see if the transfer has attached itself to your fabric.
 

 Let it cool before you peel the tissue paper off.  This will give the transfer a chance to adhere to the fabric.

  And, this is what happens when you don't slow down to read the instructions first because you think you know how to do this yourself (ah, hem)!  I crumbled up the tissue and put it in the trash and used a press cloth for my first attempt and this is what happened!!  Once I realized what I had done, I read through the instructions and learned that the tissue paper was important to keep the transfer from sticking to anything else but the fabric below it!!


 This is my next attempt after reading the instructions!  It turned out beautiful!!

Next you get a straight edge, a cutting mat and a rotary cutter for separating all the labels.
  

After you've sliced each row store them somewhere and pull them out and cut a label as needed!! Its as easy as that!! 
 

 Next I will show you what it looks like when the labels are put to use...
Stay tuned!!!

Hope you are having a great summer so far!!
 Happy first day of August!!

Missy

No comments:

Post a Comment